Sunday, July 24, 2005

The last of the birthday blues 

They're not even blues really because my friends did give me a fabulous birthday dinner (read here) however sometimes you just can't help rolling your eyes a little.

My mother was at the door today. Actually, she knocked and when I didn't answer right away... was leaving when I saw her at the gate.

'Oh... Happy Birthday' she says. 'I was in the neighbourhood having lunch and thought I'd drop your present by'.

She points to a small gift wrapped parcel left next to a pot plant on my verandah. When I say 'next to'.. it's more like behind the plant where it's highly likely it would've gone unseen until it sprouted into something triffid-like after being watered for weeks.

Now I know she can't have gotten the day wrong. She was there all those years ago after all. But it's the 24th of July and my birthday was the 7th of June. (roll eyes here)

Oh well... I'm still waiting on a 'Happy Birthday' from others I'd hoped might've remembered.

Next year I'm thinking my birthday will be by invitation only.

Posted by Annie @ 2:10 pm

Comments:

invisible