Tuesday, November 08, 2005

We're in the Army now! 

Well... no, not really. Although I was considering that perhaps there had been a coup when Munchkins 1, 2 and I returned home today to find our front yard overflowing with the might of the Australian Armed Forces in various states of busyness...

Private Skinny (in a 'halt! Who goes there?' type of voice): Sorry but you can't park here.

(Park? This is MY house buddy!!!)

I: Hmmm well this is actually my drive and my house and 'parking' would be wishing to get into my drive and thus, my house.

Private Skinnier: All the same, we're unable to let you pass at this time, sorry.

I (wondering how the bleeep I'm going to get into our driveway, effectively blocked by army trucks and two skinny privates): Ok, may I speak to your C.O. then? Or would it be quicker to call my father... He's a Colonel.

(ok ok so I left off the fact that he's a long ago retired Colonel but hey... you use what you can)

Much scurrying ensued and then...

Captain Bulgy Muscles: Can I help you Miss?

(Miss? Ok that earned him points)

I: Has there been a coup? Insurgent uprising perhaps?

Captain Bulgy Muscles (laughing): No, not at all. We're just.. ummm... we're just staging military manouveurs in your front yard!

Ha! Yeah right. Military manouveurs turned out to be..


this wasn't covered in basic!

.... a flat tyre on one of the trucks in their little convoy BUT.. because they had (ssssh) secret stuff on board, they'd called in the re-inforcements, set up a perimetre and all that jazz while they fixed it.


Captain Bulgy Muscles got the trucks moved so The Pea (our little green(ish) car) could squeeze through and anyone who knows The Pea knows that the space required would've been about an eighth of an inch. In fact, four of them could've just picked up The Pea and carried it into our drive!

As penance for trying to keep me from my home, I forced them to pose for pictures... with Munchkins 1 & 2... with me (only the good looking ones tho!)... although I only got the one pic of them attempting to change the tyre before...

Captain Bulgy Muscles: So.. your father's a Colonel?

I (gulp): Hmmmm Well yes... kinda... in point of fact he's retired now.

Captain Bulgy Muscles: How retired?

I (double gulp): Very retired. Over 10 years but I appreciate you guys hopping to it and letting me into my drive. Ta Ta!

I don't think I'll be invited to the Annual Officer's Ball... do you?

Posted by Annie @ 8:56 pm

Comments:

invisible