Monday, February 28, 2005

Warning: Arachnaphobic listeners are hereby advised NOT to view the following without heavy sedation!!! 

Or at the very least a nice vodka tonic with lime!

Let me introduce you dear friends, to the fiend-ette that has hijacked my Hills Hoist!!


Ms Golden Orb Weaving Spider or, if you prefer the latin name .... Nephila Youtouchy Ibitey.


Isn't she lovely? In a 'don't touch me or I'll bite you' kind of way!

Now.. according to the fact sheet at the Australian Museum website, these lovelies can reach the size of the average full hand span (including their creepy but stylishly striped legs) and our arachnoid squatter is definately up there size wise!!


The first pic (until I got braver and went closer!!)

Obviously however, this lady spider hasn't read the fact sheet as it says the following under the heading 'Web'....

'Strong orb web; about 1 m; strung between trees, around sunny parts of buildings. Strong golden silk. Large web often traps small animals.'

Ok. See the problem? Loooooooook closely. There is nothing there that suggests it's ok to take up residence on a person's Hills Hoist!!! Between trees..... parts of buildings (although, I'm glad she didn't take it there!) The spidery nerve! I mean, at the very least she could've asked!

I have a good mind to print out the fact sheet and attach it to her eviction notice in the morning! Which I would do of course, if my printer hadn't been crispified by the post-blackout shockwave!!


And of course, that whole trapping small animals thing might give her an idea or two about Jack Kitty or even Munchkin 2 for that matter!!

Still... the webs are really pretty. First thing in the morning, they look like they're made out of spun glass. And they're impressive at night too! (Although perhaps not if you're a bug!)


Had to go back and bug her for a pic at night too! ('bug' her!! tee hee hee)

How much rent would be reasonable for an entire Hills Hoist anyway? Ewwww no!! What am I thinking?? She'd probably want to pay me in dessicated bug carcasses!!!

Oh yes. The Munchkins have just reminded me... there were half a dozen or so Galahs chortling in our gum tree this evening as well.


Galahs in our gum tree

Not as cool as the spiders (unless they could be convinced to EAT them!!) but worth a mention all the same.
Posted by Annie @ 9:09 pm

Comments:

invisible