Thursday, September 09, 2004

Beware of Spaniards bearing gifts.... 

.....especially gifts of cash!!!!! Yes it's true dear listener. I have joined the ranks of the almost suckered in... of the wool pulled over half an eye... of the almost bought a bridge brigade. This afternoon in the post, there arrived a letter addressed to me at this address and not a redirection from our old house. This is the first thing that grabbed my attention because only a privileged few were privy to the address of our new little cottage. The letter was post marked Spain and upon opening, declared to me that I was the winner of a lottery prize of $380,214 euro. Woooo hoooo I thought for just long enough to get started on a pretty spectacular 'end zone' dance in the front garden. Then it hit me.... waittt a minute!!!!!

Had I entered a lottery at all... let along in Spain? (answer: no)
Did I know anyone in Spain who would enter me in a lottery? (answer: no)
Would I need a chiropractor after this 'end zone' dance? (answer: quite possibly!)

These questions were followed with a 'what tha....???' And friends.. if you've ever had to stop an 'end zone' dance in mid flight.. it's not a pretty sight... there was almost loss of life and limb!!! The second page of the letter was a form requesting that I supply my bank account details (including swift code!!!!) to enable my 380, 214 little euros to be deposited immediately!! And then went on to request that I 'keep this award from public notice until my claim has been verified and my money remitted to my nominated account' as part of some security protocol!!! Can anyone say bogus? c'mon.. say it with me now.... B O G U S !!!!! My 'BS-detector' may be in overdrive lately but honestly!! In case you're curious... or just want to be cautioned...I found this (El Gordo Spanish Sweepstakes Scam) online....courtesy of Google. The world is full of liars and cheats enough without nitwits like this going to such extraordinary lengths.... still... it was a damn spectacular 'end zone' dance!!!
Posted by Annie @ 3:09 am

Comments:

invisible